A guide to tying more than 70 of the most useful and dependable knots.
The Knot Tying Bible is a complete guide to selecting, tying and using a wide array of knots, useful for everything from hauling logs to securing the canoe to wrapping a present. Beginners can master the basics before progressing to the more difficult knots. Experienced rope users can enjoy new knot challenges and discoveries.
Using a dual approach of photographs and written instructions explaining step-by-step how to tie knots, the book includes:
- A comprehensive introduction to rope
- Material properties of rope types
- How to select, care for and store all types of rope
- Ropeworking terms
- Descriptions of rope constructions and outlines of breaking strains
- Information and ideas for using each knot
- Picture icons.
A "hands-on" knot directory outlines the function and formation of over 70 knots and categorizes them according to physical properties, making it easy to find the right knot for the job at hand. The knots are set out in ten chapters includes:
- Quick-Tie Knots: overhand knot, cow hitch, figure-eight knot
- Easy-release Knots: the bow knot, the reef knot
- Hold-Fast Knots: the surgeon's knot, Klemheist knot
- Sliding Knots: slip knot, trucker's hitch, running bowline
- Loop Knots: Englishman's loop, neck halter, angler's loop
- Knots for Joining Ropes: Carrick bend, double fisherman's bend
- Shortening Knots: chain knot and sheepshank
- Weight-adding Knots: Stevedore knot, monkey's fist, stopper knot
- Lashings: Cross lashing, parallel lashing, transom knot
- Decorative Knots: the Turk's head and the true lover's.
Knowing the right knot to use and how to tie it can make life easier — and safer. The Knot Tying Bible is a timeless resource that will be useful just about anywhere for just about anything. An essential purchase.
Publisher: Firefly Books
Publication Date: 2013-08-15
The shipping cost will be waived if you purchase and pick up the book in person. Our office is located at:
802-1166 Alberni Street
Vancouver, BC, Canada
We accept credit card, cash or cheque.